5. DAMAGED HELICOPTER RIGGING
The mast-mounted sight (MMS) of a damaged OH-58D
must be removed prior to recovery.
a. If applicable, remove mast-mounted sight (MMS) in accordance with applicable technical manual.
6. Install Tail-Boom Rigging (Figure 1 and Table 3)
Figure 1 details the damaged and recovery helicopter
rigging. Reference numbers in the following text that are
outlined in parentheses [i.e., (1), (2), etc.] refer to Figure 1,
View A and Table 3 item numbers. Refer to Figure 1, View
A and Table 3 for configuration guidance.
a. Connect the green/white sling (1), Figure 1, View A, around the damaged helicopter tail section as follows:
(1) Locate the position on helicopter tail-section that is adjacent to and forward of the tail rotor gearbox,
but behind the forward stabilizer mount, and loop the green/white sling around this point. (View B)
(2) Connect both eyes of green/white (1) sling to box link (2). (View A)
(3) Secure sling (1) to box link using box link pin and quick-disconnect pin. (View C)
b. Fold green/white sling (3) in half.
c. Install both sling eyes of folded green/white sling (3) to box link assembly (4).
(1) Secure sling (3) to box link using box link pin and quick-disconnect pin. (View C)
d. Install the mid-point fold of green/white sling (3) to the free end of box link assembly (2).
(1) Secure sling (3) to box link (2) using box link pin and quick-disconnect pin. (View C)
e. Connect a sling eye from black/white sling (5) to the free end of box link assembly (4).
(1) Secure sling (5) to box link using box link pin and quick-disconnect pin. (View C)
Place free end of black/white sling (5) on rotor head for easy access during the shack assembly hook-up in
Paragraph 7 of this WP.
In a non-tactical situation recommend removal of tail rotor
blades prior to recovery or tail rotor blade post recovery
inspection shall be performed.
g. To prevent tail rotor blade flapping tie the lower blade from the tail rotor to the helicopter using a fixed length
tie-down (without snap hook).
h. Drogue Chute Installation
As determined by ground crew, a drogue chute may be
attached to the damaged helicopter to facilitate stable flight.
Secure drogue chute to the tail end of tail-boom. Do not deploy drogue chute until recovery helicopter has
hovered over disabled or damaged helicopter.