2-8. ELECTROSTATIC DISCHARGE SENSITIVE (ESDS) DEVICE HANDLING REQUIREMENTS
c. ESDS DEVICE AND ASSEMBLY HANDLING REQUIREMENTS
Do not remove or install CCAs or assemblies until you are properly
Do not touch CCA or assembly contacts or connectors.
Components can be damaged by electrostatic charge or discharge
through its conductors.
All ESDS devices and assemblies are provided with shorting devices. The shorting device may be
a metal ring or a block of conductive material in which the conductors are imbedded. Follow the
requirements listed below whenever removing or replacing these shorting devices.
(1) Wear conductive wrist strap.
(2) Wear conductive boot covers or stand on conductive floor mat.
(3) Handle components only by the case, never by the leads.
(4) Use only electrical equipment that has the three prong (grounded) plug installed.
(5) Remove shorting device and place ESDS device with leads down on conductive workbench
mat. The ESDS device stays on the mat until the operator is ready to install it.
(6) Keep ESDS devices in protective bags when not in use.
(7) Ground all electrical tools and test equipment.
(8) Touch ground prior to removing, touching, or installing ESDS devices.
(9) Touch packages of replacement ESDS items to ground before opening them.
(10) Check continuity and resistance of ground system daily before using.
(11) Follow ESDS packing procedures (para 5-2).