Tools and Special Tools
Engine Shut Down and Cool
91B, Light Wheel Vehicle Mechanic
Inspect torque converter output shaft for scouring and cracks. Inspect shaft tangs for wear, cracks and damage.
Inspect transmission-mating teeth inside torque converter for damage. Inspect torque converter lex plate
mounting bolts for security.
END OF TASK
The use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is required when using or handling hazardous
materials associated with operating and maintaining equipment (jet fuel, hydraulic luid, brake
luid, ethylene glycol, cleaning solvents, compressed air, and engine/axle oil). Failure to use
PPE when handling these materials could result in injury or death.
Remove engine power pack and install maintenance mounts (WP 0032).
Place drip pan under the transmission torque converter.
Remove 4 torque converter lex plate mount bolts and washers (Figure 1, Item 9).
Pull torque converter assembly (Figure 1, Item 1) from engine.
Drain torque converter luid into drip pan.
Remove 6 bolts (Figure 1, Item 15) holding lex plate and backing ring to torque converter (Figure 1, Item 12).
END OF TASK
1. Position lex plate (Figure 1, Item 13) and backing ring (Figure 1, Item 14) on torque converter.
2. Apply blue lock tight to the 6 lex plate/backing ring bolts.
3. Install 6 mount bolts (Figure 1, Item 15) holding lex plate/backing ring and snug (DO NOT TIGHTEN).
4. Position torque converter/lex plate assembly onto engine and perform alignment of all four mounting holes.
5. Carefully remove converter assembly not allowing any movement of lex plate.
6. Torque 6 mount bolts (Figure 1, Item 15) holding lex plate/backup ring to 35 ft. lbs..