To prevent possible damage to the main rotor system
assembly fixed length tie-downs must be secured with
approximately 18 inches of slack in the lines.
(17) Leaving approximately 18 inches of slack, secure the fixed-length tie-down to the appropriate area of
(18) Using the unattached end of the adjustable length tie-down already installed repeat steps (1) through
(17) for the opposite facing rotor.
(19) Carefully orient the middle of the adjustable length tie-down sling near the main rotor mast for easy
access during the recovery helicopter hook-up procedure covered in Paragraph 7 of this WP.
Install AH-1 mast wedge assembly (5) in accordance with Figure 1, View A location, and Figure 3, as follows:
UMARK contains two similar mast wedge assemblies for
different helicopters. Refer to WP 0001 00 of this manual
and verify that correct mast wedge assembly is in use.
Figure 3. AH-1 Mast Wedge Assembly
(1) Open the mast wedge (Figure 3) rubber tube section along the centerline seam and install the rubber
tube section around the main rotor mast near the bottom of the main rotor hub assembly.
When installing wedge assembly it may be necessary to
slightly rock blades using fixed length tie-downs attached to
blade sleeve assemblies to place wedge assembly in correct
(2) Carefully slide the tube up into the gap between the main rotor hub and the main rotor mast.
(3) Verify that stops on the main rotor hub fully contact mast wedge assembly and not main rotor mast.
(4) Loop lanyard attached to mast wedge assembly around main rotor hub and secure snap back onto
lanyard. Lanyard is designed to prevent mast wedge assembly from sliding down and exposing main