e. Install the AH-1 mast wedge assembly (5) in accordance with Figure 1, View A location, and Figure 3, as
UMARK contains two similar mast wedge assemblies for
different helicopters. Refer to WP 0001 00 of this manual
and verify that correct mast wedge assembly is in use.
(1) Open the mast wedge (Figure 3) rubber tube section along the centerline seam and install the rubber
tube section around the main rotor mast near the bottom of the main rotor hub assembly.
Figure 3. AH-1 Mast Wedge Assembly
When installing wedge assembly it may be necessary to
slightly rock blades using fixed length tie-downs attached to
blade sleeve assemblies to place wedge assembly in
(2) Carefully slide the tube up into the gap between the main rotor hub and the main rotor mast.
(3) Verify that stops on the main rotor hub fully contact mast wedge assembly and not main rotor mast.
(4) Loop lanyard attached to mast wedge assembly around main rotor hub and secure snap back onto
lanyard. Lanyard is designed to prevent mast wedge assembly from sliding down and exposing main
Rig Shackle Assembly (Figures 1 and 4, and Table 3)
During shackle assembly rigging and subsequent recovery
flight all light weight slings and tie-downs attached to the
main rotor blades are to be attached to the clevis part of
the shackle assembly, while the heavy weight black/white
sling is on the shackle assemblies sling spacer
(1) Remove quick-release pin, clevis pin and sling spacer from shackle assembly clevis. (6, Figure 1 and
(2) Install both sling eye ends from heavy weight black/white sling (4) that is basketed through
ammunition doors, into the clevis part of the shackle assembly.
(3) Install both sling eyes from tail rigging blue/white sling onto the clevis part of the shackle assembly.