Drogue Chute Installation
As determined by ground crew, a drogue chute may be
attached to the disabled helicopter to facilitate stable flight.
(1) Secure drogue chute to the tail end of tail-boom. Do not deploy drogue chute until recovery helicopter
has hovered over disabled or damaged helicopter.
Install the AH-1 mast wedge assembly (15) in accordance with Figure 1, View A location, and Figure 4, as
UMARK contains two similar mast wedge assemblies for
different helicopters. Refer to WP 0001 00 of this manual
and verify that correct mast wedge assembly is in use.
(1) Open the mast wedge (Figure 4) rubber tube section along the centerline seam and install the rubber
tube section around the main rotor mast near the bottom of the main rotor hub assembly.
Figure 4. AH-1 Mast Wedge Assembly
When installing wedge assembly it may be necessary to
slightly rock blades using fixed length tie-downs attached to
blade sleeve assemblies to place wedge assembly in correct
(2) Carefully slide the tube up into the gap between the main rotor hub and the main rotor mast.
(3) Verify that stops on the main rotor hub fully contact mast wedge assembly and not main rotor mast.
(4) Loop lanyard attached to mast wedge assembly around main rotor hub and secure snap back onto
lanyard. Lanyard is designed to prevent mast wedge assembly from sliding down and exposing main
k. The disabled helicopter is now ready for hookup to the recovery helicopter.