Caution should be taken to ensure that the red/white
sling (16) looped around the tail-boom is hooked in front
of the retractable step and secured in place before
recovery and throughout the recovery flight to ensure
that it does not slide to the rear of the tail-boom.
Connect the red/white sling (16) around the disabled helicopter tail-section as follows:
(1) Locate the position on the helicopter tail-section that is approximately aft of the tail landing gear and in
front of the retractable step.
(2) Loop sling (16) under the tail-section. (View G)
(3) Connect both eyes of sling (16) to box link (15). (View A)
(4) Secure sling (16) to box link using box link pin and quick-release pin. (View F)
(5) Ensure that the retractable step is in the OUT position to maintain sling position.
To prevent damage to trail rotor blade ensure blade is
tied down at root of the blade.
To prevent tail rotor blade flapping tie root of lower blade from the tail rotor to the helicopter using a fixed
length tie-down (without snap hook).
k. Drogue Chute Installation
Though not recommended by recovery flight parameters
(Table 1), if the ground crew determines it is necessary a
drogue chute may be attached to the disabled helicopter to
facilitate stable flight.
(1) Secure drogue chute to the tail end of tail-boom. Do not deploy drogue chute until recovery helicopter
has hovered over disabled or damaged helicopter.
The disabled helicopter is now ready for hookup to the recovery helicopter.
9. RIG RECOVERY HELICOPTER (Figures 1 and 4 and Table 1)
Figure 1 details the disabled UH-60 helicopter and recovery
helicopter rigging. Reference numbers in the following text
that are outlined in parentheses [i.e., (1), (2), etc.] refer to
Figure 1 and Table 3 item numbers. Refer to Figure 1 and
Table 3 for configuration guidance.
a. Place a cargo hook thimble (19, Figure 1, View A, and Figure 4) into the single eye end of heavy weight
black/white sling with bridle loops (17).
b. Connect the single eye end of heavy weight black/white sling (17, Figure 1, View A) with the hook thimble
installed, to the recovery helicopter center cargo hook.
c. Pull free end of heavy weight black/white sling through center cargo hook hole and secure until helicopter
being recovered is ready for hook-up.