g. Connect a box link assembly (21), View A, to the other sling eye of sling (20).
(1) Secure sling (19) to box link using box link pin and quick-release pin. (View F)
h. Connect the blue/white sling (22) around the disabled helicopter tail-section as follows:
(1) Locate the position on helicopter tail-section that is adjacent to and forward of the tail rotor gearbox,
but behind the forward stabilizer mount, and loop the blue/white sling around this point. (View G)
(2) Connect both eyes of blue/white sling (22) to box link (21). (View A)
(3) Secure sling (22) to box link using box link pin and quick-disconnect pin. (View F)
Position tail-boom rigging to same side as heavy weight black/white sling (13), View A, was placed for hook-up
to recovery helicopter rigging.
In a non-tactical situation recommend removal of tail rotor
blades prior to recovery or tail rotor blade post recovery
inspection shall be performed.
To prevent tail rotor flapping tie the lower blade from the tail rotor to the helicopter using a fixed length tie-
down (without snap hook).
k. Drogue Chute Installation
As determined by ground crew a drogue chute may be
attached to the disabled helicopter to facilitate stable flight.
(1) Secure drogue chute to the tail end of tail-boom. Do not deploy drogue chute until recovery helicopter
has hovered over disabled or damaged helicopter.
The disabled helicopter is now ready for hookup to the recovery helicopter
9. RIG RECOVERY HELICOPTER (Figures 1 and 6 and Table 1)
Figure 1 details the disabled OH-58D helicopter and
recovery helicopter rigging. Reference numbers in the
following text that are outlined in parentheses [i.e., (1), (2),
etc.] refer to Figure 1 and Table 3 item numbers. Refer to
Figure 1 and Table 3 for configuration guidance.
Use of cargo hook thimble is required when the center
cargo hook of a CH-47 is being used; the UH-60 does not
use a thimble.
a. If the recovery helicopter is a UH-60 proceed to the next step. If the recovery helicopter is a CH-47 place a
cargo hook thimble (25, Figure 1, View A and Figure 6) into the single eye end of heavy weight black/white
b. Connect the single eye end of heavy weight black/white sling (23, Figure 1, View A) with the hook thimble
installed (if applicable), to the recovery helicopter center cargo hook.