(12) Verify that the appropriate blade sleeve assembly bag pocket is still open, and all the other bag
pockets are still closed.
(13) Pass the snap hook from one end of the adjustable length tie-down sling through the D-ring on the
blade sleeve assembly straps marked TOP and secure snap hook to loop position 6 on the
adjustable length tie-down. (View C)
(14) Connect the snap hook from the fixed length tie-down sling to the D-ring on the blade sleeve
assembly straps marked BOTTOM.
(15) The blade sleeve assembly is now ready for installation onto the rotor blade.
(16) Lift up the blade sleeve assembly with the blade sleeve pole and slide the open blade sleeve
assembly bag pocket over the forward pointing rotor blade, while a second person leads the
adjustable length tie-down and fixed length tie-down along the rotor blade.
To prevent possible damage to the main rotor system
assembly fixed length tie-downs must be secured with
approximately 18 inches of slack in the lines.
(17) Leaving approximately 18 inches of slack, secure the fixed-length tie-down to the appropriate area of
(18) Using the unattached end of the adjustable length tie-down already installed repeat steps (1) through
(17) for the opposite facing rotor.
(19) Carefully orient the middle of the adjustable length tie-down sling near the main rotor mast for easy
access during the shackle assembly hook-up covered in step g. of this Paragraph.
g. Rig Shackle Assembly (Figures 1 and 4)
During shackle assembly rigging and subsequent recovery
flight all light weight slings and tie-downs attached to the
main rotor blades are to be attached to the clevis part of
the shackle assembly, while the heavy weight black/white
sling is on the shackle assemblies sling spacer
(1) Remove quick-release pin, clevis pin and sling spacer from shackle assembly clevis. (5, Figure 1 and
(2) Install both sling eyes from the forward red/white safety slings onto the clevis part of the shackle
(3) Install the two sling eyes from the yellow/white sling that is attached to the lifting clevis on the
disabled helicopter main rotor onto the clevis part of the shackle assembly.
(4) Install both sling eyes from aft red/white safety slings onto clevis part of the shackle assembly.