5. DAMAGED HELICOPTER RIGGING
6. Install Main Rotor Rigging (Figures 1 and 2, and Table 3)
The mast-mounted assembly (MMA) of a damaged AH-
64D must be removed prior to recovery.
a. If applicable, remove mast-mounted assembly (MMA) in accordance with applicable technical manual.
b. If operable (helicopter with power), to minimize loads on the main and tail rotor blades, set controls to
collective full down, neutral cyclic and pedals.
c. Open and remove the cowling around the main transmission.
d. Attach blue/white slings (1) through (4), Figure 1, View A, to airframe main transmission support structures as
(1) Basket a blue/white sling around the forward airframe main transmission support structure.
(2) Basket a second blue/white sling around the aft airframe main transmission support structure.
(3) Basket a third blue/white sling around the left airframe main transmission support structure.
(4) Basket a fourth blue/white sling around the right airframe main transmission support structure.
e. Carefully lay sling eyes for blue/white slings (1) through (4), Sheet 1, View A, on the helicopter for easy access
during the shackle assembly hook-up is step f. of this Paragraph.
Rig and install blade sleeve assemblies as follows: (Figure 2)
Blade sleeve assemblies are attached to each main rotor
blade. A fixed length tie-down is attached to the bottom D-
ring of each blade sleeve assembly and secured to an
appropriate airframe hard point to secure the main rotor
blades during the recovery flight.
(1) Orient blade sleeve assembly (Figure 2, View A) so that the markings saying TOP on both the blade
sleeve bag and straps are facing down.
(2) Fold both left and right edges of the blade sleeve bag inward until the matching loop/hook closures
(3) Assemble blade sleeve pole. (View B)
(4) Open bag pocket number two on the blade sleeve bag (View A) by separating the loop/hook
(5) With one hand, take hold of blade sleeve bags left side blade sleeve tab and left side blue lifting tab.
(6) With other hand, take hold of blade sleeve bags right side blade sleeve tab and right side blue lifting